Mozzarella Recipe (done in 30 minutes or less!)
- 1 gallon of milk
- 1.5 tsp citric acid dissolved in 1/4 c. cool water
- 1/8 - 1/4 tsp lipase powder, in 1/4 c. cool, non-chlorinated water, 20 min in advance
- 1/4 tsp rennet (or 1/8 tsp dbl strength rennet) in 1/4 c. cool water
- 1 tsp kosher salt
1. With milk at 55 degrees and on medium-low heat, add citric acid solution and stir well. Add lipase solution and stir well. Continue heating milk to 88 degrees and then add rennet solution. Continue stirring until curds form in about 30-60 seconds. Continue stirring and heat to 100-105 degrees. Curds will begin sticking together in one mass.
2. You can strain the curds in a colander, or wait until the curds stick together and make on big ball, then pull out the ball and squeeze out the whey.
3. Put in a bowl and microwave for 30-60 seconds and carefully work the cheese, squeezing out more whey. Add salt and any herbs you wish. If the cheese is too hard to fold and stretch, microwave for another 30 seconds and work it to distribute the heat.
4. After salt is worked in and the cheese is stretchy, make a ball and put into a container and into the fridge to chill.
My cheese came out a bit lumpy, but it may be because I didn't work it enough. I just squeezed out all the whey with a cheesecloth and added salt. About five minutes later I pulled it apart and put it on top of homemade pizza with fresh basil and tomatoes. Heaven.
Note: Mozzarella freezes very well.